Ok, every year my girlfriend fills in this questionnaire, I thought it was a cool idea so I’m copying her.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
*I wrote my first solo ep! All songs entirely by me.
*I moved to a new country.
*I bought my first electric guitar. (I had an Aria before, but my Dad bought him and Arias don’t count…)
*I went to London.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t really make a new years’ resolution last year, I think it should have been something like “be happier” which I did and am still doing.
I did promise myself in 2011 that I would work my socks off on my solo music, and if I didn’t feel I’d made an improvement within a year that I’d call it quits and go be something real- like a lawyer. One EP later I don’t think I need to hang up my guitar just yet!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Probably… If I don’t remember who then I’ll probably get a hard time… I can’t remember visiting any babies… One of Kayla’s best friends had a beautiful baby boy called Zac, he’s fucking awesome. He’s got loads of chat and he likes my accent. His Mum & Dad are sound too.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
One great-aunt died, I think that would be the closest person… Although the deaths of Donna Summer, Chuck Brown and Whitney Houston effected us all I’m sure.
5. What countries did you visit?
Here we go…
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A Canadian visa, and kick ass guitar skills!
7. What date(s) from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 16th – the night I met Kayla Hillier… I thought she was really really weird.
June 25th-September 3rd – Our absolutely amazing European adventure!
September 9th – Arriving in Canada.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my shit together and getting out of Edinburgh.
Writing my EP.
Dying my hair pink on my own with no help.
9. What was your biggest failure?
In all honesty I think my failures this year were minute in comparison to previous years, so it’s probably not worth dwelling on them!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I thought I had Legionnaires’ disease at one point! Thankfully I didn’t, I just had a chest infection and a stomach bug at the same time. Other than that I’ve been surprisingly healthy!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The trip to Europe.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
This is an odd question… Probably Kayla, she’s been very patient. She keeps me sane, and helps me keep perspective.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
Ha! The occasional arsehole here and there, but no one I’d want to bitch about over the internet.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Travelling! That’s where I’ve spent every penny of my money this year and it was totally worth it!!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Europe! and Canada!
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2012?
Any track on my EP.
Any track by Anais Mitchell, I was playing her music pretty hardcore when we were travelling.
Any thing by Freddie King.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
ii. thinner or fatter?
Probably fatter. Canada is ruining my figure!
iii. richer or poorer?
I’m probably a wee bit richer, but that’s not cause I’m loaded it’s just because I was so bad with my money this time last year!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d written more, other than that it’s been a pretty full year and I don’t feel like I did anything by halves.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stressing. The start of 2012 I was a total nutcase and I was stressed all the time. I’m pretty calm now and it’s a nice change. It’s almost like I’ve matured…
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Oh! was I supposed to have done this before New Years? Oops! Well I spent Christmas in Windsor with Kayla’s family. Her Mum was a total legend and got me loads of stuff, including these really epic Canada mittens that I’m never taking off. (You should be impressed with how eloquent my typing is despite massive mittens!)
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes. I wholeheartedly fell in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Game of Thrones, True Blood, Brothers & Sisters, Community… OH! I watched all of Roseanne from beginning to end and it was amazing!
23. What was the best book you read?
I read some books that Kayla recommended to me. I read The Shadow of the Wind, and Under the Banner of Heaven. They were both pretty cool. On the whole though I haven’t read as much as I would have liked to…
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
25. What did you want and get?
I wanted to be happier, I am.
26. What did you want and not get?
I wanted an Epiphone ES335 in seafoam, I got a Squier Telecaster in blonde. You win some, you lose some.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Kayla and I have been watching all the Oscar nominations, so I’ve seen some seriously incredible films this year. I really enjoyed The Perks of Being a Wallflower though, as cheery as it is!
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were ya?
I turned 21! I went to England for the first time! I went to Manchester and London. I discovered Englishmen don’t get my humour and don’t find me funny! However English women think I’m really funny and I don’t know why they bother dating Englishmen! Weird.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had moved fast enough to sort out my Canadian visa before coming to Canada, cause now I have to go back to Scotland and then come back to Canada again!
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I think I finally realised that I’m gay, so if I look gay, that’s ok. Because I’m gay. Does that make sense? So I stopped worrying if I looked feminine and started just wearing things I find comfortable.
31. What kept you sane?
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Roseanne Barr… then I followed her on twitter and realised she was a heedcase! So I’ll say Beth Ditto, whom I followed on twitter and she followed me back! (I’m a wee bit of a chubby chaser…)
33. Who did you miss?
I miss my friend Kieran. I’ve spoken to him more this year, but that really just reminds me what an incredible person he is and how I wish I could see him more often.
34. Who was the best new person you met?
Kayla Hillier and numerous other people associated to her!
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012?
Fuck Scotland, it’s shite. If you’re not happy pack your bags and fuck off. Fact!
Tags: 21, Anais, Austria, Barr, Being, Belgium, Beth, canada, Canadian, Christmas, Chuck Brown, Czech Republic, Ditto, Donna Summer, England, Epiphone, ES335, Europe, Female Singer Songwriter Edinburgh, Female Singer Songwriter Montreal, Female Singer Songwriter Toronto, Fender, France, Freddie, Game of Thrones, Gay, Germany, Gibson, Happy, Italy, King, Lesbian, Live Music Edinburgh, Live Music Montreal, Live Music Toronto, London, Love, Luxembourg, Manchester, Mitchell, Monaco, New Year, Oscars, Perks, Roseanne, scotland, Squier, Switzerland, Telecaster, The Netherlands, Travel, True Blood, Wallflower, Whitney Houston